Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The start of a new life

















The happiest day thus far for Caitlin and I. And I've never seen Juvi more content, with a bright smile that lifts her face, and a seemingly new energetic confidence in life. It was a day of emotions and a day of rejoicing. Alberto (our director) even cancelled school for this special ocasion. The day we moved Ruben and Juvi into their new house was accompanied with tears, hugs and much rejoicing. All the teachers pitched in to help in the move. As we were loading the van with their belongings and furniture I could smell the stench of mildew and of their bed, and couch that never dried. I am encouraged though. Believe it or not someone actually bought their old shack and the land it's on. They were able to get $1400 for it. What a blessing! They are now useing the money to buy some new furniture. Another thing I found out is that they always have running water, which is very rare in this country. The street lines for some reason in this part of town are such that they don't even need a tenaco (big tank of water on the roof). I don't know anyone that has water like that here. It's a far cry from a buckett in the back yard for a shower. This truelly is the start of a brand new life for Ruben's family. To those who gave in time, money and prayer, thank you. You have helped in not only changing this families life, but more importantly made it possible for God's work to continue through Ruben's joyful energetic and sacrificial life as we strive to impact a nation.

2 comments:

chris said...

hi layne, just a quick note to tell you my wife will be there at the end of June . I was going to come as well but I had a change of plans. We are going to relocate the studio so I won't be joining her. If you would will you let me know what part you are in, maybe you could meet my wife. Anyway have to go. See you when you get back.

layne and caitlin said...

We are on the north coast in between puerto plata and susua, both popular tourist areas, the town we live in is called Monte llano.