Sunday, January 20, 2008

TOOLS!!



Who doesn't like buying new tools? Caitlin and I were blessed enough to have some extra funds in our account. So we decided to put them to good use. One of the hard things about schooling Haitain kids, is once they are done with 8th grade it is almost impossible for them to go on to high school because of proper documentation. For this, it has been a great desire of our director to begin vocational training in several different trades. I don't know a whole lot about woodworking yet, but I am learning. Our goal is to have a woodshop where twice a week students will learn how to work with their hands. I plan to do things as simple as cut outs of toys, to as complex as cabinets. By God's provision we have also had some tools donated by past team members, and current supporters. These gifts will help make it possible to further education beyond the classroom for our kids. The donation room shelves were my first project. You should have seen the wood before we started. I may have well of just cut the trees down myself. The next project is cabinets for Rubens house! Thank you all who are helping out with this. We are very excited!


3 comments:

Nikki said...

Hi there! I am so excited to have come across your blog! I LOVE the Dominican. I went for 10 days on a mission trip last summer and am returning this summer for the month of July. I was excited to find the blog of people who share my passion, but was even more excited when I started reading!!
We did some work at the Sosua Dump! I was so excited to see your photos. One of the boys (blue shirt) I recognized as David. You don't happen to work with Hero Holiday do you? I would love to get in touch...
Nikki Cochrane
ncochrane3@hotmil.com
www.heroholiday07.blogspot.com

layne and caitlin said...

Hello, I can't say I have heard of hero holiday. We work for an organization called Kids Alive. There are 9 sites on the island. We work in villa accencion which is in a small cane village called caraballo. and we live in monte llano.

Nikki said...

Ooh okay, I have heard of that area. I think Hero Holiday did work in accencion 2 years ago- the name sounds familiar. We stay in Sosua and do work in Arroya Seco and Cangrejo. Anyways, I will definitely be continuing to read your blog! I miss the DR soo much, it is nice to hear stories of other people there, if I cant be there!