Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pico Duarte









I climbed the highest point in the Caribbean! For 3 days I hiked with a group of people up Pico Duarte. It had rained for 2 weeks previous to the trip and the bottom of the trail, the first 2 days, was mud a foot deep. The first night of camp there was nothing to sit on. I was determined to sit in comfort so I cut down some bamboo that was growing near by and fashioned myself a chair, tieing it together with vines. It took a little longer than I thought and wasnt all that sturdy, but I was able to sit in it for a few minutes! The second day was a 7 hour hike up to the next campsite. I took a picture of a whisky bottle someone had thrown off to the side of the path, only because at that moment every muscle and bone in my body was aching and telling me I needed a break. Who in the world would drink a bottle of whisky while climbing a 10,000ft mountain? It was a much needed moment of humor, at the same time a feeling that made me want to barf. YUCK!
The third day we had a quick 2 hour, but very painful summit to the top. It was beautiful. Pablo Duarte was a famous Dominican, and they really really love him. His name and face is plastered all over every city. He even has a presence at the peak where his huge head is. Going down took another entire day. I don't much like going down. But I guess it's a part of it.

No comments: